Are you looking for a way to know in different models of how does a record player work? If yes, then stay with us because of all the answers you are seeking here.
In old times, people wondered how a sound which we now interpret as “music” is magically produced. Well, the records players were difficult to handle.
As they have delicate black discs, and their proper positioning was always a matter of concern. Indentations on the discs were the primary key to produce vibrations that turn into music back then.
We have a wide variety of record players that produce excellent sound quality with an in-built cartridge and amplifier. So, let’s go on a musical journey!
What is The Best Record Player
If you are looking for a premium level record player, then Rega planer 3/Ely’s 2 has the best market value. First rega planer 3/ Elys 2 was launched in the late 1970s.
No other record players could take its place as this playeris known for its best quality. Rega planer 3 players have not changed much in their appearance over the years.
Mostly, people could hardly recognize any difference between these players. The construction of planer 3 is designed in such a way that it delivers an entertaining and soothing sound.
Our best record player has a slicker sound and starts with a heavy base. Because the plinths situated between two braces are present on the surface to strengthen the player’s area.
The presence of these braces makes the sound more rigid. Aside from improving the sound, this best record player has an alteration in their appearance, which adds a visual class touch.
Tonearm and arm tube have also been redesigned. All these changes make it a product worthy of picking. If we talk about its suspension system, it is mostly placed away from speakers as it needs care while positioning.
Furthermore, Ely’s 2 is a magnet fitted in record players that helps the cartridge work well. This player’s manual speed change is 45s, which helps to move the rubber belt from one step to another.
Once it started to run, you will understand the sound reaching to your ears is so smooth and transparent. It also makes us realize the importance of log generation music.
Then a scale is placed at the tonearm, which gives us a dose of authority. Upper scale shifts provide a sense of passion, while lower shifts give a sense of fineness.
Competitors out there may have similar-sounding players, but Rega planer 3 at such a price is fantastic. If you want high-qualities that include preciseness and close insight into music, then this is the best record player for you.
How Does A Record Player Work
People may wonder how a record player produces a magical sound through its black discs. Well, now is the time to know how do we get to play music through these players. Let’s explain to you and quickly.
- A record player disc comprises a substance called polyvinyl chloride, which is known as plastic.
- These plastic discs have grooves imprinted on them, which helps produce the sound waves.
- So, to understand how the groove turns into the music, we need to know the record player’s construction.
- Every record player mainly consists of three components. First is the needle or stylus, then cartridge and tonearm.
- In Rega planner 3/Ely’s two, we first adjust the glass platter on the record player. Then it has already installed a cartridge in it.
- Then we align the protractor over the lever where the stylus is also attached. Now, set the tonearm weight on zero gravity.
- We can set zero gravity with the help of a dial that has numbers on it. After adjusting it, put on the weight that locked the tonearm. For the stylus, the weight is set at 1.75 and put on the discs which have grooves.
- Besides, these grooves are present in each disc.
- Different Sides represent the right and left channels that cause the stylus to vibrate when electric signals pass through it.
- Now we know that the cartridge is connected to the stylus on the player’s back with a magnet. Both sides of the magnet have specific coils attach to them.
- When electricity passes through these coils, they send the signals to their respective channels. That’s how the vibration creates, which produces the sound.
- Vibration is directed towards the respective coils actually which then travels the signals towards their specific channel.
- Proofs that Ely’s magnet is continuously moving to and fro between coils.As, it helps to produce music on specific channels simultaneously.
- After this, the tonearm gives the final boost through electric signals. It isolates the right channel to the specific speaker and vice versa.
- Finally, speaker cones move to and fro to produce a sound, which we decipher as “Music.”
How to Use a Record Player
We must know that knowledge is power. Having a thing in your possession and not knowing how to use it is stressful. Here we will give you a detail about the things you should keep in mind while using a record player.
First of all, keep in mind the differences between a record player’s two desired sizes. One is 45 rpm, consisting of two songs, and the second 33-rpm record player contains one album. Both record player requires different setups.
For adjusting the 45-rpm player, make sure to take an adaptor that is important for its working. Place the same adapter at the center of the turntable and then put the disc on it. Lastly, you need to change the speed mark to 45.
Likewise, for setting up the 33-rpm record player, you don’t require an adaptor. Place the recorder on the turntable and switch the speed at 33 numbers. The next thing we need to know how to get the records play.
Get it started by lifting the stylus after removing the lock at the tonearm. Then pull the spindle attached to the needle so that it moves upward. T
he needle will be released and started to move according to your hand movement by dragging like that. Make sure to remove the cover from the needle before touching the needle.
After doing that, carefully move the stylus in the direction of records. So, the record started to spin on the turntable automatically. When you place the stylus at the edge of the record, you will not skip any part of your song.
If you want to change the songs while playing the 33-rpm player, place the needle at thick grooves. Each indentation represents a specific song so place the stylus on the one you want to play.
Change the record sides if you hear other pieces in the album. Likewise, if you want to hear another song on a 45 rpm player for that, you need to turn over the disc on the turntable.
After using a record player, make sure to put the lid back to avoid any dust and put-on locking caps for safety. I hope now you know all the tricks to use a record player.
How Much Does a Record Player Cost
When you are planning to buy a record player, you must keep in check the budget. Of course, many options will not burden your bank account. Here we will give you a choice to get your record players at an affordable price.
The record player is audio equipment that you buy to satisfy your love for music. So, a record player with an affordable price of 100 dollars is audio Technica LP 60. Have two versions in it and is an excellent choice for beginners.
Also, you can play it at 33 and 45 pm. The only drawback is that its quality is not at the most significant level. If you are looking for a high-level player, then audio Technica LP 120 is available for 250 dollars.
Have a better stylus, track weight, and cartridge. Overall, it can play 33,45 and 78 rpm. Also, it has an excellent amplifier system in it, which ultimately provides excellent sound.
The third one will be fluence RT-81 for 250 dollars with qualities of the in-built cartridge. Have a shiny finish and only play at 33and 45 rpm.
Other than this, a dust lid, rubber mat, and an excellent amplifier increase its sound quality much more. U-turn orbit is available in 179 to 500 dollars because of its variety in their models.
So, it depends on you, which model is suitable according to your needs. A record player like this is belt-driven, which makes its sound quality excellent.
With all the in-built systems, they are also available in different shades, making them more appealing. Lastly, we have project debut carbon available in 500 dollars with great value because of their carbon fibers.
Also called debut carbon because the tonearm is made of tiny carbon fibers. Ultimately, it increases the sound quality as these fibers play a vital role in strengthening the tonearm.
Have a much better belt-driven attached to it, which translates the sound in a better way. Now, get a favorite player of your choice.
How to Replace Needle on Crosley Record Player
When the needle of your record player needs to be replaced, you will notice specific changes. In this case, these changes would be of sound as it becomes duller and create more noise.
Also, the record player more likely to skip. Not only this, but there is an imbalance in speakers’ quality as well. However, with a new and perfect needle, you will not experience these types of things.
But if you are noticing these types of changes, then your needle needs to be replaced. Otherwise, it will cause damage to your record player as well.
Moreover, after the passage of 3 to 5 years or 1000 hours, the record player’s needle needs to be changed. Here is a step by step guide for you that will help you in changing the needle of your Crosley record player:
Step 1: Removing the Old Needle
- Use your Crosley user guide to know which needle your Crosley record player requires.
- First, unclip the tonearm to remove the old needle and grasp it firmly.
- From the tonearm head, separate the cartridge by using your thumbnail.
- When it is separated from the tonearm, firstly pull it down on the cartridge’s front and then pull forward.
- You will face a slight resistance when removing the cartridge but don’t just pull it off.
- Gently, carefully and slowly pull it to remove the old needle.
Step 2: Placing a New Needle
- Position the needle correctly with the tip facing down to install a new needle.
- It would help if you were careful not to touch the tip. You should know this causes the tip to become dirty, which in result causes the needle to wear out.
- Insert the back of the cartridge first by placing the needle into tonearm grooves.
- After placing it to the back, lift the needle to the front and put the cartridge.
- It’s better to test this process in the old recorder to avoid any damage if you face any confusion in these steps.
How to Build a Record Player
Building a record player seems hard, but it’s not that bad. Although a DIY record player is not nearly good as compare to a real one.
However, as far as it is concerned with record player working, you have to be right in its making. Following is a step-by-step guide and all the things that you need to build a record player.
Things you Need
- Circular disc
Method To Make Record Player
- Firstly we will be talking about constructing a box. Box design and look are up to you that how you want it. Approximately box needs to be sixteen inches tall, two feet long, and five inches tall.
- Focus on the top and deepness in the box. It should be large as it has to handle tonearm, needle, a record, and deep enough to contain all these things.
- You can use any good wood glue to construct the box.
- Now take a rod and connect it to a motor. Please attach it to the bottom of the box. Remember, don’t use a higher voltage as it overloads the motor.
- Install a potentiometer for controlling turntable speed.
- Now cut a twelve inches circular plate and drill a hole directly into the center of the dowel rod’s place.
- For building tonearm, connect the two dowel placed perpendicularly. If you want to use a ring-shaped magnet, you can use it to allow the arm to move freely.
- Place the needle of record payer on the tonearm.
- Now take the left and right sides of the wire. Connect the suitable positive wire to the amplifier on the right side and the left wire to the left side of the amplifier.
- Connect the amplifier to the power source and connect the negative wire to the amplifier’s ground.
- It’s time for the final touch; here, you will have two separate circuits. The first is for the turntable. Simultaneously, the second is for the connection of the needle to the amplifier and speaker.
- Make two holes in the front part of the box for speakers and make one hole in the top of the box for the needle’s wires.
- Now it’s completed. Enjoy with your DIY record player.
- How To Fix A Record Player?
Sometimes it’s disappointing to see your favorite thing is not working or broken. Nowadays, it is hard to find a shop where your record player can be fixed again related to the record player.
But if there are those problems which can be fixed easily at home, then it is too good. For that, you need to know what is wrong with the record player, and you are ready to fix it.
Here are some steps for you which help to diagnose a problem and in fixing it.
Unplug your record player and inspect the record player to check any damage, dents, and broken parts. Please search for the perfect record player’s pictures and Compare them to your damaged and broken parts.
Check all the plugs and power sources to know the damaged connections. Maybe the plug to which the record player is connected has a problem.
Turn on the multimeter to check the continuity in all cables. Don’t forget to check the turntable plug and wires by connecting them to the multimeter’s lead.
Connect the multimeter to the signal cable and check for shorts and continuity from the plug to cartridge links.
Turn the turntable on and check the record and sounds quality. If there is a problem with sound quality, then the needle needs to be replaced.
Sometimes there is a problem with the cartridge because it doesn’t make a signal. For this, you need to change the cartridge.
If your tonearm cable is damaged, then you can change them regularly. If you still can’t diagnose the problem, then take your record player to a professional shop to repair it.
Summing up, now you know how does a record player work, its basics, fixing, and building. It seems so complicated to you but not anymore after reading the whole article.
If you are planning to get a record player, you are good to go now. As, you have got all the answers and information regarding all the record player’s concerns.
We hope this article helpful and informative for you regarding the record player you want to build and use.